Sunday 6 February 2011

day 3 in the Cape.. Invictus

The car has arrived! So Barleycorn's daily mission has been to navigate the streets of Cape Town City, after a dummy or two spat out because the indicators are on a different side (therefore initiating the window screen wipers instead which is potentially serious as others drivers would expect prior warning before turning off!) I got the hang off it and cruised across the city and motor ways! yeah- phew to be honest and after a few trial and errors I worked out the traffic lights aka robots. So pat on the back for the ole gal... she can do it :-)

While cruising with trepidation across the South Africans highways green plots like football pitches lay in the middle of the intersections where 40 or more black africans playing football surrounded by shanty towns full of tin huts.

After my successful road trip I headed to the the gym again, driving myself! Another awesome workout I certainly feel healthier since being here! :-)

Well tomorrow is really where the testing begins, I have to make my way up to Tygberg Hospitial about hour and half drive early to meet the senior lecturer to register then back to Groote Schuur to start in the trauma unit at 1pm..... jeez

Reading the SA rough guide this afternoon- Cape Town townships... high proportion of Cape Towns 2000 annual murders take place there... that works out 5.5 A DAY!  (mum don't read that bit and I won't be going there!)

Ah well as the good man Mandela himself quotes from W.E Henley's Victorian poem Invictus: 'I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul'...

No comments:

Post a Comment